This collection contains 700+ digitized photos illustrating the history of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (UT Southwestern) in Dallas. The photo history begins in 1943, with the earliest days of Southwestern Medical College, and continues to the present. The images have been selected from among the more than 10,000 photos held by the UT Southwestern Library in its Archives.
The photographs portray:
—Faculty who have made major contributions to UT Southwestern and/or to medicine or medical education through their research, patient care or teaching
—Examples of the research, patient care and teaching that takes place in UT Southwestern's three schools:
—Campus buildings and grounds, including:
—Notable campus administrators
—Visits by important persons, such as George W. Bush and Lady Bird Johnson
History of Campus Name Changes:
Southwestern Medical College—the institution that grew into UT Southwestern—opened in 1943. The College was operated by the Southwestern Medical Foundation from 1943 until August 31, 1949. On September 1 of that year, Southwestern joined the University of Texas System, and its name changed to Southwestern Medical School. After another name change in 1972 (to UT Health Science Center at Dallas), the campus adopted its present name in 1987.